martes, 5 de febrero de 2013

Living with your parents


Hi. My name is Unai, I’m 33 years old and I live with my parents.


This sounds as a confession, but I can say I’m Spanish, and more accurate, Basque, so it explains it all.


Why do Basque young people stay so long at their parents’ home? Well, there are several reasons.


The main one is the price of houses in the Basque country, specially in Donostia-San Sebastián, the most expensive town to live all over Spain.


A friend of mine used to say that there should be a law for young people to leave their parents’ house compulsory at the age of 25. He himself was forced by his mother to leave home, that's why now he’s engaged with a mortgage.


About my own experience, first of all, I must say that I’ve shared flats with many students and my parents are the best flatmates I’ve ever had. But don’t think I live in a hotel; I help with the cleaning, the washing up and everything.


The main problem with living with your family is the conflict between parents and chidren, because they’re not children anymore, but this’ something parents don’t understand. They keep saying you what to do or even who to go with. Luckily, I got a little income from the Government; otherwise, I don’t want to imagine the situation, it would be hell!

No hay comentarios: